Wednesday, July 09, 2008

thank you and thinking about Karin

Thank you to all of you who think about Hugh - you each know him in ways that differ to my way of knowing him and it is very touching to think of a network of people who hold thoughts of Hugh with care and respect. I have been thinking a lot about Hugh's daughter, Karin, who is only four years old. I imagine that she will want to find all the 'traces' of her father that she can as she grows older. Some of Hugh's readers carry these traces as his stories weave into their lives - with all sorts of consequences by the sounds :). And I wonder how it would be to ask if any of you would like to contribute letters to Karin that I could keep for her until she is older. You may want to pass letters to me privately and I will think of the best way to do this - I don't want the on-line obit writers flooding my private email! Karin has a very big spirit - such a wonderfully feisty little girl. She still jumps all over her father, treating him far more casually than the rest of us - and yet aware of his limits - fetching his shoes, making sure a gate is opened.
best wishes,
Catherine

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Catherine,

Go ahead and setup a gmail account (or yahoo etc) especially for this purpose. Post the address as hughlettersforkarin-at-gmail-dot-com so spammers take time to pick up the address and by the time lots of spam shows up you will have long since stopped looking at the account.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Bjorn said...

I would love to write such a letter.

6:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hugh Cook changed my life. As a depressed, going nowhere teenager, I read "The Walrus and the Warwolf" and learned to laugh at myself and others. Through the years I`ve spread the word and all my frends report back... This is awesome! This guy is brilliant! Thank you more than you know for making a socialy inept little girl`s life a whole diffenrent story. When someone asks me "What do YOU like?" my first response is,"Check out anything Hugh Cook wrote".From a lonely,bullied little girl, Thank you Sir, Krishna O`Keeffe

10:52 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

Hugh has always been my inspiration. He was good enough to email me back a year or so ago, just to say hi, and that meant so much to me.

All my thoughts are with Hugh and his family in this difficult time.

kia kaha

5:48 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

I also know that many of my friends have read and loved Hugh's work over the years. I've posted an entry for Hugh on my blog:

http://freshly-ground.blogspot.com/2008/07/moment-for-hugh.html

6:38 PM  
Blogger sean maynard said...

Hugh's books are 1 of the 2 items I would save if my house was on fire the other items would be my pink floyd collection my family and relations and friends have all enjoyed Hugh's books it all started with "The Walrus and the Warwolf" I'd be reading well into the late hours with that book barely 2 hours sleep then up for work nearly all his books had this effect on me.Drake was my favourite character I sort of wanted to be like him other times i wanted to be a ravoc warrior like Morgan Hurst and what about Sully Yot well he put me off eating chicken for quite a while lol.one of my favourite parts was where the Walrus's pretend to recite poetry in thier sleep that still makes me chuckle yeah Hugh's
books painted an amazing picture in my mind that will allways be treasured.
my favourite book of hugh's is "The Shift" there was just something about that book I enjoyed it so much I have yet to read "Plague Harvest"but will be soon thanks to abebooks.

So sorry to hear about Hugh's
illness he is in my thoughts and prayers

7:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I would also love to write something for his daughter. Hugh wrote some of my favourite books and I would like to pass on what kind of impact they have had on my life.

His daughter is between the ages of my daughter (5 years old) and Henry (3 years old). I remember when Hugh became a father and some of the emails we sent to each other at the time. Parenting is a great adventure and I am sorry that Hughs appreciation of this wonderful gift will be so sadly cut short.

My sister is undergoing treatment for late stages of breast cancer at the moment. She asks how Hugh is doing as she has read some of his poetry and has her own perspective on some of the things he writes about.

No words I can offer can help at this time but please remember that our thoughts are with you.

7:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home